Sunday, March 24, 2019

Coding without IDE

I'm observing strange phenomena.
More and more developers when asked to write code on whiteboard or on computer without IDE with code assist is almost unable to do so.

I'm not saying that this is bad thing. It is strange for me, but I'm not able to say if it is bad.
In normal circumstances they have access to IDE which will help, so in theory they are able to use memory and brain power to code on higher level instead of remembering APIs.

My own way to train algorithms is to write code on whiteboard, and latter rewriting it to online judge system (which usually doesn't have code assist) and checking how it works, and if code does not compile it means that I made mistake and need to work on this.
But I'm not exactly sure if it is good way ;-)

From other side, if dev is able to write code on whiteboard he or she is usually better....

My working theory is that better short term memory and higher IQ means that someone may be better at programming, and problems with writing code on whiteboard are showing that given person may have some problems in those areas.


Similar postsbeta
Blindfold programming
Whiteboard
Power of doodling ;-)
Calculation of SSD life time in EEE PC
Programmers love to over complicate...

No comments:

Post a Comment